To register for the ballot, please select whether you would like to apply for one or two places above and complete the required questions. If you would like to apply for two places, please ensure you give both your details as well as the details of the second person who you would like to attend, when you register. Entry into the ballot assumes acceptance of the following terms & conditions.
Terms and Conditions:
- Entrants must be over 16
- Only one entry per person via this website. (If you have not purchased an Open Garden Squares Weekend ticket, you can still enter this ballot)
- Incomplete, multiple or false entries will not be included in the ballot
- If your are selected for a place on the tour, you must take photographic ID with you (either a passport or driving licence)
- Up to two places on the tour are allocated per person and will be for the person(s) named in the ballot entry. You may not pass your place on to anyone else
- There are two tours and winners will be allocated onto either one - times / dates are not negotiable
- Tours are subject to last-minute cancellation and/or changes in timing and none of the organisers / parties involved can be held liable for any inconvenience or financial loss, should this happen
- The ballot will close on Tuesday 16 May at 1pm and winners will be notified in early June 2017
- Places on the tour are randomly chosen from those who have bought complete tickets for the Open Garden Squares Weekend and those entering the ballot here
- The places chosen will be final and no correspondence will be entered into
- If you don't hear from us, your ticket number will not have been chosen
- The ballot is not open to employees of the London Parks and Gardens Trust and Downing Street, nor to their relatives
- We will not pass your information on to any third parties; however, those selected for a place on the tour will have their details submitted for a basic security check
About the Garden at 10 Downing Street:
The garden at No.10 Downing Street has been enjoyed by Prime Ministers and their families, as well as visitors to the building, for over 280 years. The terrace and garden were constructed in 1736, shortly after Sir Robert Walpole moved into No.10.
The garden is dominated by an open lawn of half an acre that wraps around the building in an L-shape. There is a central flowerbed with flower urns, a bench and an arch. Tubs of flowers line the terrace and roses line the main pathway through the garden.
The garden also features an attractive bronze sculpture by Barbara Hepworth, a pond and some lovely trees.
A small vegetable garden produces radishes, spring onions, tomatoes and lettuce. There are bird-feeding tables where birds as exotic as a parakeet have been seen feeding.
The garden has provided an informal setting for a number of significant gatherings, including the press launch for the announcement of the coalition government in May 2010, and in 2011 a barbecue for military personnel hosted by the Cameron’s and Obamas. The London 2012 School Games competitors also used the space for activities.
In April 2014 a group of schoolchildren aged 10-11 years planted poppy seeds for the Royal British Legion’s Centenary Poppy Campaign, and in July of that year a reception with Joey the War Horse was held to commemorate WW1.
The garden also hosted the 100th anniversary birthday party for the Brownies, attended by 112 girls from across the country and in 2016 commemorated 400 years since the death of Shakespeare with leading actors spending the day coaching children for a performance in the garden.
Open Garden Squares Weekend is delighted to announce that the garden at Number 10 Downing Street will be returning to the Weekend in 2017, via a public ballot.
There will be two tours on Sunday 18 June 2017 at 11.30am and 1.30pm. 24 places are available on each tour and these are allocated by public ballot.
Due to high demand, this event can only be applied for using the ballot form below. The ballot will close on Tuesday 16 May at 1pm, and the lucky winners will be contacted in early June 2017 and appointed a tour time slot. Full details and terms and conditions can be found below this form.